Hiya! This post is kinda straight forward I think, but in case you aren’t sure. I’m going to tell some tell tale signs that you are getting better or at least improving mental health wise. However I know everyone is different so therefore you may expereince some of these, you may not! Not everything is linear and that’s fine! This is just what I’ve felt/am feeling.
And also, this is just based off of depression because I don’t have every single mental illness. Let me know though if you’d want more because although I don’t have all of them, I have a fair few haha.
1. Sadness is no longer a state of mind that you constantly feel. You can feel more emotions day to day. This is not in a manic way though, more so a great mental health way. You can be happy but not fake happy and you can feel angry. You aren’t just numb anymore.
2. You truly feel like you are now living your best life. Prior to recovery I was just barely coping and I imagine this is what everyone feels?! But now you feel okay and happy with your life. You feel like your life is what you were destined to have and how bloody fab it is.
3. You begin to love the things you previously loved. This is a key one for me. I used to love blogging and when I relapsed in September/October time, I just lessened the love for it. It felt like some sort of chore but at the same time, it kept me going. If that makes sense at all hahaha. But same with other things, reading is one thing I haven’t got my mojo back for yet but hopefully soon.
4. Impulsivity is something that’s disappeared from your life. When I was my illest, I somewhat relied on being impulsive. I’m not saying I went out and got masses of tattoos and pierces or got into A LOT of debt. But I did things just on impulse. For example, I just went out on a wim and stuff like that. I don’t really do this as manically anymore.
5. Instead of going to sleep praying you won’t wake up the following morning or afternoon (depression naps were my forte) you don’t pray at all and are excited for the day to come.
Those were my little signs of getting better from depression or other mood disorders. Again, I know recovery isn’t the same for everyone and that’s why I’ve personalised these to make them more so about me rather than generalising.