Hiya everyone! I thought I’d write a post on how to be yourself because I realise that a lot of people struggle with this and so do I so let’s get straight into it!
1. Realise what you are. Having BPD, I really do struggle with this because I have no bloody clue about who I am or what I love so this is still a difficult one for me. Realise what you like as a person, who you like, what your interests are etc. You need to learn how to accept yourself on you terms and absolutely no one elses.
2. Avoid anyone who doesn’t like your true self. In your entire lifespan you are going to come across people who don’t like how you are and what I just want to say to you is, fuck them. Fuck em all. Okay, not literally but just avoid them. People in this world are destined to just wanna stick to societies norms and will hate anyone who doesn’t so it’s important that you avoid them as and when you can. If you can’t avoid them, just limit your time around them because if you spend a lot of time around negative people, you will become negative.
3. Never stop looking at your strengths, but also your weaknesses. I am the sort of person who always says don’t focus on your weaknesses or bad points because they are just that, bad points. But it is sometimes important because you need to know what you’re good at and what you’re not so good at. It’s important not to compare yourself to others as well because that never ends well.
4. Linking with my previous point, don’t compare yourself to others. Comparison leads to criticising others and that’s not good at all. It leads to you being full of envy and whenever knowing how to be yourself because you’re always comparing yourself to other people and not focusing on just you.
5. Stop caring about how others perceive you. The best way to be yourself is to just do it, without caring about what others think. Some people will like you and others will not. Only allow people’s opinions to come through to you as filter not as a solid thing in your life. If people give you their opinion of you, appreciate it but don’t take it to heart if it’s negative.
6. Treat yourself as your own best friend. It works. You put your close friends on a pedestal so why don’t you do the same for yourself? Give yourself the exact same compliments and love as you do your friends.