There are plenty reasons as to why someone cannot be vegan. For example, recovering from an eating disorder, having a life threatening illness, living in an area of the world where access to fruit and vegetables is few and far between. To name a few.
Just because you are unable to convert to veganism with any of these reasons, it doesn’t mean you should not make a conscious effort to minimise the cruelty you are unknowingly contributing to, for the animals, the planet and your health! I know not everyone can do the same thing so I’m going to develop a list of a variety of things you can do to help! In no way am I saying you should force yourself to do things if you are unable to, I’m saying if you are able!!
- Have meat free days. There’s this thing going round the web at the minute where you have meat free Mondays! If the entirety of America did not eat meat for just one day a week, it would be the equivalent of taking 7.6 million cars off the road. This is so surreal to think that’s how much carbon dioxide that the amount of meat consumed a day causes.
- Use cruelty free products. There is no reason why someone would need to purchase MAC products over Barry M products. For one, they are so much cheaper and two, probably better. Obviously, don’t feel guilty if you are taking medication that is tested on animals, you cannot possibly help that. Just switch products such as toiletries, make up etc to cruelty free options if they aren’t already!
- Choose fake leather products over real leather. Faux fur over real fur. This one is fairly simple.
- When going out to restaurants, choose the vegetarian/vegan options! Eating vegan 24/7 may be difficult but having the occasional meals may not be so bad.
- Adopt don’t shop! If you decide to have a pet in your life, don’t buy them from breeders. Go to your local animal shelters and adopt one of the cuties! They deserve a home just as much as the puppies. Most animal shelters cannot afford to keep all the animals they have brought to them so some have to be put down – this isn’t necessary at all!!!
- Spread the vegan message. You may think this is hypocritical but I can assure you it’s not! You may not be vegan but you can promote it as and when. Find a local organisation and volunteer. Every little helps.
Of course there is many more and just doing your little bit can help! If you can go vegan, please do or at least look into it. If you can’t, just keep doing what you’re doing.
All my love,