Clearly, I’m 18 now. If you follow me on social media, you’ll know for sure that I turned 18 yesterday haha. I’ve learnt a lot of things in my 18 years but I thought I’d narrow it down to 18 things – and obviously following the trend that going around lately.
- it’s okay to be emotional and sad every now and then. You don’t have to be happy and in a good mood 24/7 because that’s impossible.
- Wear whatever the hell you want. It doesn’t matter if you don’t think it will suit you or if it’s not your usual style because if you like it, wear it. Life’s too short to worry about things as small as clothing.
- Believe in karma – always. What you put out into the world will make it’s way back to you, so make sure it’s always positive.
- Be kind to others, you don’t know what they are going through. Just like they don’t know what you’re going through. It’s never too hard to be kind.
- Go for change. Whatever it is, however small or large it is, if you don’t do it, you’ll always wonder ”what if”. No matter if it scares you. If you like someone, ask them out. Dye your hair that super jazzy pastel colour if you so wish. Pick up a new hobby.
- Nothing defines us. Absolutely nothing; not your weight, not your height, not your grades and definitely definitely not the number of likes you get on a selfie and the number of followers you have on Instagram. We’re humans and nothing defines us.
- Being angry because someone in the sky took your mother away is okay but it won’t bring her back from the dead. And neither will crying over them for hours on end. But it is completely okay to do these things, someone got ripped out of your life for no reason at all. You don’t have to accept that this is FINE.
- Believe that the world is a better place with you in it. Honestly. You’re going to fall at the most random time and this thing is the most important thing to remember, especially for those times.
- Talk to yourself in the same way that you would talk to someone you love, with absolute kindness and clarity.
- Value every single person who has came into your life. Past or present, if they did you dirty or good. They helped shape you into the person you are today, without them you wouldn’t have grown.
- Do your education! Although, it may be hard. I’m not saying force yourself to do it if it affects your mental or physical health because you have absolutely no reason to force yourself. Take your time. But the only thing someone can’t take away from you, is your knowledge.
- Nobody is going to kiss your scars or be there for you in your worst times. They don’t understand what you are going through. Life isn’t a cliche John Green book and nobody is going to hold you until the storm in your mind passes. You have to be your own hero and look out for yourself.
- Don’t let go of your child inside you. In society, you are pressured to grow up so quickly, to form into an adult. But rebel. You’re only a teenager, hold onto the childishness. Giggle hard at any given moment.
- Practise self love. Again, in society, it’s not the norm to love yourself but it’s so so SO important to do so. It’s incredibly difficult, and know you can’t love your body, your mind every single day. Down days are a thing and that’s okay too. But make sure you bounce back up. Self love is such a wonderful thing to be part of, I’d hate to think someone doesn’t like themselves.
- It’s okay to spend time alone. It helps you bond with yourself which is always a good thing.
- Using slurs that aren’t yours to reclaim is never okay. Don’t you dare use the n-word unless you are black. Don’t you dare use queer or faggot unless you are not straight. Just don’t you dare. It’s not fair and it’s really offensive. Also, the word r*tard is not okay to use either, never. None of these are ever okay to use so don’t. If it’s in your vocabulary, consider changing it. Everyone will thank you.
- Forgive yourself. Please don’t be at war with yourself. Your mind, your body, they don’t deserve it and you don’t either.
- Set goals, whether they be daily goals, or weekly goals or life goals. Without setting goals, your life will go nowhere. Goals as simple as getting out of bed, are good things to set. Pick one thing to accomplish each day and do it. You’ll be so proud of yourself.
Okay these are my eighteen things. They aren’t in any particular order and I’m pretty sure I’ve learnt so many more than this but as I am 18, I gotta do 18 😉 Lemme know if you liked this type of blog, I may add to it as years go on !!