I’m not the kind of person to be persistently happy when it comes to my body, although I am slowly getting there. It’s a journey obviously and no one can be 100% body confident over night – if you happen to, please please inform me on how! Beauty is a state of mind, not a state of your body. I have came a long way since last year (even last month) in terms of how I feel about my body and I thought I might be a kind citizen and help anyone out there who struggles in relation to confidence and self love. Don’t take these tips to heart though, just because they worked for me doesn’t mean they will work for everyone. I just thought it may give people an idea on how to start their mission with tackling self hatred. Also, I did a post on How to stop being so negative ??! which may help in some circumstances.
- Stop with the jokes in relation to how you look. I’m guilty of making jokes about how chubby I am or how ‘ugly’ I am. Cut them out!! Seriously, you may think they’ll help you – ‘if you can’t laugh at yourself, what can you do?’ That’s true to a certain extent but this time, it’s complete bullshit! So stop saying you’ll never find a partner because you’re too ugly for that because those jokes won’t help you at all!! Once you stop making jokes about your appearance, you’ll stop thinking of the apparent negative parts.
- Associate the parts of your body that you dislike with the actions they achieve. For example, I used to really hate my legs 100% but then I started associating my legs with their actions. They take me places and they help me not fall over when I’m standing. When you start talking positively about your body and realise what it can do, you’ll view your body in a completely different way. Be careful with this one though, be sure not to dissociate your body from your mind because this can be dangerous. Remember that your body is still you even though it has all those jobs.
- Surround yourself with body confident people! This may be super difficult because in this day and age, many people are brought up to dislike their bodies as societies definition of normal but try and find some people who don’t talk trash on their bodies constantly. Hearing those “I hate my legs” and the “I wish I could lose/gain weight” comments will not help you and unfortunately they are everywhere. If you are friends with someone who constantly puts down themselves and their body, it’s best to stay away as their self hatred is only going to affect your journey to self love. Or maybe, tell your friends what they should do in order to love their body or at least tell them why they should – being with someone on this journey may help you as long as they are 100% going for self love.
- Smile more. Again, this is a tricky one but I can assure you it works! Even if your smile is forced, you can trick yourself and your mind that you are feeling super confident. Ever heard of fake it till you make it? Yeah this is it. Even if you don’t feel confident in the slightest, just smiling at people who walk past you may make a positive change.
- Know that every day is not going to be all sunshine and rainbows. It happens to the best of us. One day we’ll be perfectly content with how we look and then the next, we’ll want to cover ourselves with a bin bag and go into the bins where we think we belong (just me?). Not every day is going to be all happy, you are going to have days where we feel like a complete bag of shit and hate the way we look. It’s part and parcel of loving ourselves. However, do remember these days do not last forever and this negative feeling will pass. Only your worst days are 24 hours long.